my first postmortem: an amateur with google apps

This story is about the first major incident that occurred in one of my web applications, that caused the app to be down for a long enough extension that it impacted the user’s experience. It occurred around 1.5 years ago when I was first beginning my big step into the tech world. While I had been learning to code on small personal projects before this, the application that I was building in this story was for a paying client. To be honest, it was my first and only paying client, which shows how much of a beginner I was, but also how emotionally intense any technical error or service lapse would be. This incident occurred in the middle of a transition in the services I used, in which I switched from Caspio’s web application (, which had a database management tool for integrating data into user friendly and searchable […]

read more